The aim of our ‘Ready to Read’ course is to give parents the confidence and basic skills to help them support their children’s reading at home and so enable them to achieve success in early years and later education.
The course is interactive and uses a range of activities to help parents understand how they can help their children to succeed and enjoy learning. The length of course can be adapted according to the audience.
The topics included in the sessions:
- Importance of speaking, listening and interacting with your child
- Why some children find reading difficult
- The importance of pre-reading experiences
- Strategies for helping children with their reading
- Supporting children’s reading – role play exercises
- The importance of praise
- Exploring picture books
- Reading comprehension and asking the right questions
- The importance of making reading fun