Young people supporting young people with inspiring results
- Are you looking for a cost-effective way to support Key Stage 3 students struggling with their reading to ensure they are ready for English GCSE?
- Do you have students who might benefit from one-to-one peer support from well-trained older students?
- Do you want to provide leadership opportunities to older students to support higher education and employment applications?
- Do you have students that support your feeder primary schools?
Our Reading Buddy programme is a great way of improving literacy attainment and school cohesion by training older pupils to support younger ones for whom reading is a challenge.
Older pupils are natural role models for younger ones and young people often find communicating with peers a lot easier.
We train pupils to be a Reading Buddy in secondary schools. Training takes place over the course of a normal school day. During the training session the Reading Buddy will:
- Consider what makes a good reader
- Discuss which strategies need to be in place in order to be able to read well
- Learn how to ask questions to check reading for meaning
- Explore resources and discover which will be most effective when supporting a struggling and/or reluctant reader.
Your trained Reading Buddies will be empowered to:
- Demonstrate their initiative and organisational skills
- Demonstrate their ability to take on a role of responsibility
- Act as a positive role model and inspirational member of your school community maxalt
- Becoming a volunteer – perfect for Duke of Edinburgh awards
The students they support will:
Benefit from personalised support from well-trained older students
See improvements in their:
- reading skills
- confidence and self-esteem
- decoding skills, expression, fluency and comprehension
- enthusiasm for reading
- engagement with a wider range of reading materials
- develop a love of reading
Reading Buddy Training for secondary schools costs £20 per head
From students at Little Heath Secondary School:
“The course was of a high standard and would definitely recommend it to others”
“I have learnt a lot!”
“I have learnt a lot about how to help children. Very informative!”
“Thank you so much for the training today, it was great and having seen the evaluation forms the students clearly thought so too!”