It is competition time! Let your children tell everyone about their favourite book and enter ‘My Truly Amazing Book Review’. They can win some wonderful prizes for your school library as well as for themselves, and your school can win a visit from local poet AF Harrold.
We are running another competition to coincide with World Book Day! Book reviews are a great way to help engage children more deeply with what they are reading and develop their writing skills. Schools can use this competition as part of their World Book Day activities and encourage the discussion of sharing children’s books. Perhaps you could read a book together and use this competition during your English lessons. More chances for your school to win!!
As a local school to ABC to read, we would love for you to take part. If you are a partner school, our volunteers may encourage the children that they support to take part in the competition and may work on this during their sessions they have with the children.
Please do share the attached poster with the parents/carers of your children.
The aim is to encourage more of our children to read and share their favourite books with others.
Prizes are as follows:
– Winning class will take part in an assembly or class visit with AF Harrold
– Two winners will win several beautiful Usborne Illustrated Dictionaries each for their school libraries and £20 Waterstones gift card each.
– Two runners up will win £10 Waterstones gift card each.
– The winners’ book reviews will be featured on our social media pages.
This is a competition for pupils of primary school age.
The child’s name, age and adult’s contact details must be included with each entry along with the child’s primary school and/or volunteer’s name so we can make contact.
Send entries by email to email@example.com with the Subject ‘Competition’, or post to Competition ABC to read, St Marks Church Hall, 94 Cranbury Road, Reading RG30 2TA or through your ABC fieldworker.
All entries must be submitted by 3pm on 10th March. Please advise us if you do not want to take part in any photo shoot. Photographs taken may appear in the media.
ABC to Read volunteers invest an average of 12,000 hours each year into improving not only children’s reading ability but their enjoyment of the pastime as well as their general attitudes and confidence. This competition is aimed to boost both.
* Contact us if you would like your school to become an ABC to read partner school and receive our 1-1 support from our volunteer reading mentors or take part in any of our extended training workshops to help raise literacy attainment in Berkshire.
We hope to receive lots of entries from the children at your school!