ABC to read is committed to eliminating discrimination, bullying and harassment and encouraging diversity amongst our staff, volunteers (including Trustees), the schools and the children within which we help to read.
Our aims are that
- our staff, volunteers, schools and children will be representative of all sections of society.
- each staff member and volunteer feels respected and able give their best.
We oppose all forms of unlawful and unfair discrimination. To that end the purpose of this policy is to provide equality and fairness for all our staff, volunteers or to those who we provide our services. We will not discriminate because of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage, civil partnership, pregnancy, maternity, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
All staff whether part-time, full-time or temporary, will be treated fairly and with respect. Selection for employment, promotion, training or any other benefit will be on the basis of aptitude and ability. All staff will be helped and encouraged to develop their full potential and the talents and resources of staff will be fully utilised to maximise the efficiency of the organisation.
All schools, children and volunteers will be treated fairly and with respect. Selection of schools, children and volunteers will be non- discriminatory, equal and fair.
Our commitment is:
- To create an environment in which individual differences and the contributions of all our staff and volunteers are recognised and valued.
- To ensure that staff and volunteers are entitled to a working environment that promotes dignity and respect to all.
- To make available training, development and progression opportunities to all staff and volunteers fairly and without any discrimination.
Breaches of our equality policy by staff will be regarded as misconduct and could lead to disciplinary proceedings and, in serious cases, dismissal. Bullying and harassment of any kind are unacceptable and any instances of these will lead to disciplinary action against staff, in line with our grievance policy.
Breaches of our equality policy by volunteers will be regarded seriously and may give rise to termination of the volunteer placement.